The Orchid Garden in Santa Elena takes rare orchids out of the cloud forest canopy to put them in an exhibit where you can actually see them. This is a project for research and the conservation of orchids, as well as one the largest collections of native species in all of Costa Rica.
The Orchid Gardens exhibits a collection of over 425 different species of orchids, including the world’s smallest.
Tours are guided and are offered in English and Spanish. All paths are cemented and easily transited by children, senior citizens and wheel chairs.
The garden consists of three parts:
1. Miniature Orchids: A collection of the smallest orchids found in the cloud forest, including some endemic to Monteverde.
2. Large Flower Orchids: The second section consists of orchid species with large flowers.
3. Hybrid Orchids: A greenhouse where hybrid plants are showcased to demonstrate the difference between flowers that grow in the wild and a flower that is crated in a laboratory.
- Tours in either English or Spanish that last from 25 to 45 minutes, depending on your level of interest.
- Each tour includes information about the structure of orchids, different methods of pollination, families of flowers, and the importance of caring properly for these flowering plants.
- Practical advice on caring for orchids at home and some natural methods to control pests.
- The garden is open daily from 8 am to 5 pm, including Sundays and holidays.
- At the end of the tour you can compare notes and pictures over a fresh brewed cup of coffee and a gourmet pastry (not included) at the Orchid Café located just outside the premises.
Monteverde Orchid Garden - Jardín de Orquídeas Monteverde, Monteverde, Costa Rica
Durations: 45 minutes
Available Times: Tours are available on demand from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Shared Adult Rate $10
Shared Child Rate $8
Private Adult Rate $20
Private Child Rate $20