Rain Cloud Forest Odyssey
7 Days / 6 Nights
This 7 day / 6 night adventure includes Tortuguero National Park and the Monteverde Cloud Forest.
Experience firsthand the tropical rainforests of Tortuguero National Park while at Tortuga Lodge & Gardens on the North Atlantic Coast. Look for three species of monkeys, watch iconic birds like the Keel-billed Toucan, the Ringed Kingfisher and the Tiger Heron as they move through the forest. Visit the village of San Francisco de Tortuguero and participate in The Words Adventure Program, where guests teach local kids English.
Continue to Monteverde Lodge & Gardens, hike in the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve and learn from your Naturalist Guide about how Monteverde is considered the “Canary in the Mines” of Global Warming.
Meal codes: (B) Breakfast, (L) Lunch, (D) Dinner.
Day 1: Pick Up Point - Tortuguero National Park (LD)
- Transfer from your pick up point to Tortuga Lodge
- Schedule an additional afternoon tour, explore the Lodge gardens and trails, relax by the pool or catch the warm breeze from a hammock
- Dinner and overnight at the Lodge
Day 2 & 3: Tortuguero National Park (B,L,D)
- Included over the next two days is a wildlife boat excursion with a local naturalist guide, scheduled at your discretion for a morning or afternoon
- Additional excursions are available at additional cost
- Explore the gardens, hike the trails behind the lodge, enjoy the riverside pool.
- Catch the breeze in a hammock (mandatory activity)
- See full itinerary for more details
- Lunch and dinner at the Lodge
- Overnight at Tortuga Lodge
Traveling July – September?
Ask us about adding a Turtle Nesting Expedition to your package
Day 4: Tortuguero / San José / Monteverde
- Breakfast at Lodge
- Fly 35 minutes to San José
- Meet your guide for the 3-4 hour drive to Monteverde
- After lunch on your own, meet your guide to explore the Lodge gardens
- Dinner and overnight at Monteverde Lodge
Day 5: Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve (B,L,D)
- Included over the next two days is one excursion to a cloud forest reserve with a local naturalist guide
- Explore the gardens, the pool and the indoor Lodge butterfly gardens
- Lunch and dinner included in our Lodge Restaurant
- Additional activities in the area abound
- Overnight Monteverde Lodge & Gardens, Forest View Downstairs Room.
Day 6: Monteverde Lodge (BLD)
- After breakfast, visit the Monteverde Butterfly Garden
- Set up additional tours for the afternoon, hike on your own, or relax amongst Lodge gardens or around the pool
- Dinner and overnight at the Lodge
Day 7: Monteverde Lodge to your Drop Off Point (BL)
- Morning free to continue to explore the region.
- After lunch, say goodbye to the Lodge and transfer to your drop off point
Drop Off Points
While the price of this package only includes transportation beginning in San Jose, after Monteverde we’ll drop you off in any of the following areas, so that you can work this package into the flow of your Costa Rica itinerary. Estimated drive times from Monteverde are in parenthesis.
- San Jose (3.5-4 hours)
- Manuel Antonio (4.5 hours)
- Golfo Papagayo (4.5-5 hours)
- Coco - Ocotal (4.5-5 hours)
- Tamarindo- Conchal- Flamingo (4.5-5 hours)
- Montezuma – Santa Teresa (6-7 hours – you’ll cross the Gulf of Nicoya via ferry)
- Arenal (3-4 hours)
For being picked up from San Jose we offer transportation via either a small charter plane or a combination of van and boat, with no cost difference between the two. For all your drop off points from Monteverde, you’ll travel via van.
Transfers for every destination outside of San Jose will be conducted by a recommended shuttle company. They operate as a shuttle – picking up and dropping off travelers at a series of different hotels. We pick the best operators available and work with them constantly (some would probably call it hassling) to impart high standards, but unfortunately we can’t guarantee that a Costa Rica Expeditions level of service always applies. Upon being picked up the shuttle will then visit other area hotels before embarking on the journey, and the same will be true when you arrive at your destination.
If this type of shuttle transfer is not to your liking, consult with us about setting up a private transfer in a Costa Rica Expeditions van. Add in a guide and turn your transfer into a true travel experience.
IMPORTANT: We do not drop off at private residences or at hotels that are located outside of the range specified above. If you need help arranging transportation from a private residence or from a location outside our route, let us know.
Detailed Itineray as a PDF
This package has a starting price of $1498 per person. This price includes lodging in a River View Downstairs Room at Tortuga Lodge & Gardens and in a Forest View Downstairs Room at Monteverde Lodge & Gardens
Ask Us About Upgrading Your Rooms!
Includes: 6 nights lodging in double occupancy (Downstairs River View Rooms at Tortuga Lodge & Gardens and Forest View Downstairs Rooms at Monteverde Lodge & Gardens), 9 meals at Tortuga Lodge and 9 meals at Monteverde Lodge, Transportation from San Jose to the Caño Blanco dock in A/C mini-van with the services of a bilingual Service Guide, boat transfer from the dock to Tortuguero, two - three hour boat tours into Tortuguero National Park with Torguguero Naturalist Guide and entrance fees. Flight from Tortuguero to San Jose in a domestic flight (one seat in plane), ground transportation from San Jose to Monteverde in A/C mini-van with the services of a bilingual Service Guide. Visits to the Santa Elena Biological Reserve, the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve and the Monteverde Butterfly Garden with a local Monteverde Naturalist Guide. Ground transportation from Monteverde to the select destinations as outlined above (via shuttle for all destinations outside of San Jose). Taxes in effect at the time of booking. All transportation is shared with other guests.
Prices are per person
* Taxes Included
|Rate for the rest of the year 2015||Rate for the Holiday Seasons||Rate for the rest of the year 2016|
|Jan 07 - Dec 18, 2015||Dec 19, 2015 - Jan 05, 2016||Jan 06, 2016 - Dec 18, 2016|
|Price sharing a
|Price in a Single Room||$2068||$2378||$2068|
|Price sharing a Triple Room||$1370||$1478||$1370|
|Child Rate-Sharing with Parents 0-10 years old||$598||$598||$598|
|* Ask about our extra days at Monteverde Lodge and Tortuga Lodge.|
|* Prices above are per person and include taxes.|
IMPORTANT NOTE LUGGAGE LIMITATION: When flying or traveling by boat within Costa Rica a maximum of 30 pounds of luggage is allowed per person. The 30 lb weight limit for flights or boat trips within Costa Rica does not mean that you need to limit yourself to 30 lbs of baggage for your entire trip to Costa Rica. While it always makes sense to travel light, you can bring more than 30 lbs of luggage. We are happy to store your excess luggage in San Jose, and catch it up to you as soon as your return from your excursion. Arrangements can be made to permit more luggage per person at considerable extra cost.
Lodging: Up to two children ages 10 or younger stay free when sharing a room with two adults.
Meals: Ages 0-5 eat free. Ages 6-10 receive 50% off meal plans and packages. We also offer a children’s menu.
Tours: Policies vary depending on the activity. When child rates are available they will be passed along.